Well-written essays cover past achievements and then go on to demonstrate how these achievements qualify for excelling in the future as well. 谈及过去的成就，然后说明这些成就
Set about your essay writing effort by listing your achievements. 第一步：先列举你的成就
Why is this important?
- It initiates the process of assessing yourself. How often do we spare time to review our past to gain a perspective on the present? Consider this a beautiful opportunity to rethink past events and objectively look at your strengths and shortcomings. 回顾过去，看看自己的优势劣势
- Your confidence builds up when you start working on an essay question. Many people draw a blank when they first sit down to write their essays. Listing your achievements is a good way to start.
So, the first and the most important step you need to take before beginning your essays is to jot down your achievements.
What would you classify as your "achievements"?
Discovering your own achievements requires time and energy. Write down every life experience ranging from the big, substantial ones to those trivial ones that you may not consider worthy enough to merit consideration. Look back and recall the experiences that made you feel happy and proud. These could include something like the initiative you took to get the job you have always desired, or the way you helped a colleague handle a difficult situation. It could also be something as simple as the impact your article published in the school magazine, the ease with which you handle both work and fun, or your ability to foresee problems that help you circumvent crisis situations.
Sit back, think and jot down all your achievements. Work on this list for a few days and keep adding to it. When you think you are done, you need to organize your list. Divide the list into these three categories:将你的成就分成三类
1. Professional - Skills related to your field of specialization: experiences that describe how good you are as an engineer, salesperson or finance professional would fall under this category. 职业
2. Managerial - Soft skills like working in a team, meeting deadlines, and attention to detail管理
3. Personal - This includes extracurricular activities, self-development initiatives, community work and anything else you do that cannot be included in the above two categories. 个人
After you group together your achievements, assess the three categories qualitatively and decide which categories, if any, seem to have fewer achievements than others.
Now consider only the category where you seem to lack. Think specifically about your skills related to this category. If you are not able to identify your strengths and achievements by yourself, it will help immensely to consult friends and colleagues. Sometimes others can see aspects of our life that we are blind to ourselves. 考虑你所欠缺的成就，涉及到的技能。如果自己不能找出成就，最好请朋友帮忙。
If you are still not able to list much under this category, you may need to re-consider some listed achievements in other categories. Look carefully at your achievements in other categories and see if they would reveal additional skills that can be listed under the required category. Let's clarify this further. Suppose your work is mainly technical by nature, then you might find it difficult to look for instances that fall under the 'managerial' category. Then, what you do is to look for experiences in the 'personal' category that would also bring forward your managerial skills. For example, you could write about how you managed a team through a team sport you played, or some community work you performed.
The notes that you make at this stage will be your reference when you select content for your essays. This exercise might seem cumbersome in the beginning but consider this a wise investment. It is certainly worth doing since it culls and consolidates all the information that you need to convey to the Admissions Committee through your essays. Many applicants miss this crucial objective in their zeal to give the right answers.